Monday, June 11, 2012

On creating worlds

I'm not usually much into visuals. I don't need a lot of visual information to write, besides character templates.

That's all changed now with my foray into science fiction. I'm building worlds from scratch here and the can look however I want them to. I love fall color and rivers and streams and waterfalls and silent woods and mountains. A lot of those things just don't exist in Louisiana, mountains, waterfalls and fall color in particular.

The planet my characters are on hasn't been inhabited in about 1700 years. Its beauty is untouched and magnificent. I'm taking the opportunity presented me to create this world in the image of everything I find beautiful in nature.

Things like the mountains of West Virginia in the fall, like the picture above. I've never seen purple trees before, but this planet has them. You don't see things like this second picture in Louisiana either. It's a picture from the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee.

I'm also in love with the Plitvice Lakes in Croatia. To me it's one of the most beautiful things on the face of this earth. I started building this world around the lakes. This picture doesn't even begin to capture their beauty. It's a chain of lakes cascading down with more waterfalls than you can count and crystal clear water.

Creating planets and civilizations is one of the best parts about science fiction and fantasy.

I've created a Pinterest board for this series and I find myself referring it to quite a bit as I write. Especially now that my characters are on the planet and exploring it.

1 comment :

  1. Those lakes in Croatia look absolutely gorgeous. So much beauty out there that we don't know about.

    ReplyDelete