Wednesday, June 6, 2012

More purple

It's been a little while since I did a purple dress. Heck, it's been a little while since I did a dress at all! Time flies and all that, it really does. Avengers, birthing a science fiction universe...

Believe it or not the purple didn't draw me to this dress. The print did. It reminded me of a drapery print I used several years ago to make an Empire dress. This fabric is silk and I was using cotton.

None of the pictures at the Met's website are big enough to show the details of the print, but it's very interesting. There's a medallion of some type included in it.

It's dated 1860, and I think that's about right. The skirt is very narrow though and was most likely worn without a hoop. According to the Met the woman who owned it would have been around 50 in 1860, so it makes sense. It wasn't unusual for older women to not fully adopt fashion changes.

No comments :

Post a Comment