Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Shoes shoe shoes

Last week I had somebody ask me a question about shoes in the 1860's. I, of course, directed her to my Pinterest boards, but it wasn't a "juicy" enough question to do a Fashion Central post about.

These are slippers of some kind, probably American. I'm guessing they're house slippers but I don't really know.

Over to the right is a pair of wedding boots, circa 1860. They would have been worn at a wedding, obviously. The toes are interesting, and from what I'm seeing in various places fairly normal for this period.

Now what girl doesn't want pink, high-top, button-up leather boots? They're from 1868.

These also date to around 1860. I pinned them because I've never seen anything like them before. They look to be a combination of silk and leather, and they lace up the side. I'm really not sure what to make of them, and the have the same shape and to as the white boots. They're in the Oakland Museum in California.

2 comments :

  1. I love the pink boots! Are you sure the leather combo ones are for women? They look a little masculine :) Hopping over to take a look at your Pinterest boards! I found you through your guest post at OTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by!

      They're women's boots all right. Men didn't wear boots half-made of satin.

      Delete