Friday, March 2, 2012

Romance in Unusual Places

While we're on the subject of mourning this week, I also think old cemeteries are some of the most romantic places in the world. Especially old Southern ones filled with ancient live oaks dripping with Spanish moss, tombstones so old the lettering is nearly gone, crypts caving in due to age.

Southern cemeteries are especially pretty in the spring when the azaleas are in bloom. I took this picture six years ago in the historic cemetery at Grace Episcopal Church in St. Francisville, Louisiana. Some of the graves date back to the early 1800's.

The top picture is currently my desktop wallpaper.

Only in old cemeteries can you find graves like this one. There are several in this cemetery surrounded by ancient wrought iron, with worn, weathered tombstones. One is a family plot. There's also an old crypt (now empty, we think) that's falling in on itself. It's over a tunnel, lined with red bricks and still locked with a very old wrought iron gate.

The reason for me being in a cemetery taking pictures is my sister and I were down there spending the weekend at a friend's house six years ago. And it happened to my sister's birthday. Our friend is an amateur photographer and I had a new digital camera. A crappy one, to be honest, but it's hard to take bad pictures of such a beautiful place.

So we were in the cemetery taking pictures. Of the cemetery itself, of each other, doing poses, trying to look mysterious and other-worldly. Being young, twenty-something women in love with history and ambiance. It was a lot of fun. And I got some GREAT cemetery pictures out of it.

3 comments :

  1. That's awesome...a girl after my own heart. I love old cemeteries. One of my favorite places to visit and get inspired. Quiet there, too...LOL!Here in New England our cemeteries go back to the 16 & 1700's. The southern ones you speak of and show are so nice. And the monument for the desktop wallpaper is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This shows how pretty cemeteries can be. I like to visit them, too, Rachel! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete