Monday, March 5, 2012

Monday Musings: Hubris

I don't know if this will turn into a regular feature or not, but it's on my mind and this blog is a reflection of me and all my varied interests.

Hubris is one of my pastor's favorite words. It's always on display in man and is usually a big part of whatever trouble we get ourselves into.

I admit it. I'm a closet football fan. Not a diehard by any means, but there's an inherent fascinatingness for me about the game and the people involved. Due in large part to a character in my head who happens to play it at the highest level... The world of professional sports is a great place to find hubris on display. And unfortunately for Louisiana, we're right smack in the middle of it at the moment.

The Saints have fallen victim to hubris. The story broke late Friday afternoon (or as Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory would say, prevening). The Who Dat nation is very hurt and very disappointed. Some Vikings fans are calling for our Super Bowl title to be revoked, which is absurd. But it's still out there. One of the players named in the allegations is being crucified on Twitter. The entire magical run of 2009-2011 is now badly tarnished and possibly stained with blood.

What the Saints have done is wrong, make no mistake. Roger Goodell is well within his rights to do most of what the analysts are saying he'll do. Stuff like this has to be stopped for the good of the game and the lives of the men targeted. Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis knew what was going on, were told to stop it and didn't. The height of hubris, we're not going to get caught.

It's also a sad commentary on the state of mankind. And a reminder that we all need God's grace. Especially when we do something as stupid as putting a bounty on an opposing quarterback to knock him out of the game.

I'm praying for the team, and the fans. A lot of innocent people are going to be hurt in all this. The Saints gave Louisiana a reason to hope again, after Katrina and Rita. I'm pretty confident in saying most fans will stick by them, and stick up for them when necessary. Just because the defense screwed up doesn't mean the team's accomplishments should be negated.

Grace is always available for the asking. And I choose to extend it now and not be mad at the Saints for screwing up so bad. Because we all do it in one way or another.

No comments :

Post a Comment