Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Review: Wings of a Dream

Wings of a Dream by Anne Mateer


I signed up to influence for this book because I've known Anne for several years through one of my writer's groups. I was so excited when she finally sold this book.

It is in first person, and that's my only complaint. But I knew that going into it. As long-time readers know, first person is not my favorite viewpoint because it usually does not include the hero.

I loved this glimpse into life on a farm in early 20th century Texas. And not just any farm, but a cotton farm. Something I've been doing a ton of research on the last few months.

The setting is common enough--Texas--and it's the year that sets it apart. 1918. It opens six weeks before the end of World War One and touches on the Spanish flu epidemic that killed hundreds of thousands of people.

Rebecca is a girl longing for a life bigger than what she sees before her. That's something we all want. Her journey to accepting God's plan for her life resonated with me.

It's not a romance, so don't pick it up looking for that. There's a strong romantic element with a HEA ending, but it's not a romance. Still a most enjoyable read and one I highly recommend.

2 comments :

  1. Thanks, Rachel, for taking a chance on a first person, not typical romance! Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know what to expect but maybe not first person. I do like it so that wasn't a concern. If anything I was concerned about the protagonist being so young. But her age only contributed to her as a character I began to love.

    I so enjoyed this book I hopped right online to say so. I would call it historical fiction with lovely romantic elements. In a "womens fiction" sort of way. Does that make sense? All I know is that it was treat to read and I'm strongly recommending it. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete