Wednesday, August 12, 2009

SoE review: Ransome's Honor

Ransome's Honor
by Kaye Dacus

Regular readers may remember that I am no fan of Jane Austen. However, I love Horatio Hornblower, and not just because of Ioan Gruffudd. That is part of what drew me to Kaye's Ransome trilogy. That and watching her perfect it, pitch it and finally sell it.

Click on the above link for a plot synopsis from CBD. I won't repeat it here.

The book was an absolute delight! I loved every page. All of the characters are fully developed and well-rounded. It's hard not to fall in love with William Ransome. I'm very much looking forward to getting to know certain members of his crew in the next book, Ransome's Crossing.

It was also refreshing to see a Regency heroine with guts and pluck who still remains true to what women were like then. That's another part of why I don't usually read Regencies. I know so much about the daily life of the period and the thought patterns and customs that few people can get it right enough to hold my interest. Kaye got it right!

I found William's character arc the most interesting, but anyone who knows me won't find that surprising. Sometimes one can hide in honor and duty, and William realized that. His character was flawed, but not to the point that it was off-putting. Same for Julia. By the end of the book each has realized their flaws and is working on overcoming them.

If you like Regencies or high-seas adventures, this book is not to be missed!

1 comment :

  1. I loved Kaye's book, Ransome's Honor.As you said, she did a great job at characterization with getting inside the internal thoughts, dialogue, etc. I've been trying to keep that in mind as I work on my own wips to stay true to the character while I'm in their pov. It really strengthens the story. In my current wip the hero is an outdoorsman who often relates things to nature and other things of his experience, the heroine is a photographer so she looks at life artistically and through the "lens" of her experiences.

    ReplyDelete