Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Writer's Meme

Copied from Kaye's blog.

What’s the last thing you wrote? It was at the last LA-CFW meeting. Everyone wrote an opening line or two so we could identify the hook. That sentence will most likely end up being the opening line for an idea I'm working on.

What’s the first thing you ever wrote that you still have? It's in a spiral bound Lisa Frank notebook, written entirely in pencil. It's gosh awful and I wrote it when I was 13. The main character is still alive and well, though vastly different now compared to then.

Favorite genre of writing? Historical!!!

Most fun character you ever wrote? Hmm.... I think that would be Misha in The Epic. He's a bit of a troublemaker before the war breaks out. The lawyer, who is also sort of the bad guy, is also fun to write because he's a weaselly little snot who thinks he's smarter than he really is.

Most annoying character you ever wrote? I haven't gotten to this stage yet.

Best plot you ever wrote? If fan fiction counts, that would be the plot for Rhapsody In Murder. Hardy Boys Nero Wolfe style! It was grand fun to write and research because I killed a pianist on the stage in front of thousands of people.

Coolest plot twist you ever wrote? That would be Sasha's secret wedding mere weeks before he's captured by the Germans.

How often do you get writer’s block? Not very often. It's more of a lack of discipline of making myself sit down and actually write. I've been unemployed for the last 3 weeks and haven't written a single word. Bad me!

How do you fix it? I haven't yet figured that out.

Write fan fiction? Yup, but not currently. Most of it is posted here.

Do you type or write by hand? Both! I do love the speed of typing since my brain moves so fast. When I write long hand I often forget words and once missed an entire sentence. My hand can't keep up. But sometimes I just have to hold a pen and write that way.

Do you save everything you write? I do now, but I didn't always. I've thrown away a few things that I now regret.

Do you ever go back to an old idea long after you abandoned it? So far I haven't. I went through a spell where I thought I might like to write YA and I had a cool horse series idea but it's abandoned now. I highly doubt I'll ever go back to it because my writing has evolved and that sort of thing no longer holds any appeal for me. Though you will still find lots of horses in my stuff, and not just because I write historicals.

What’s your favorite thing that you’ve written? I love The Epic. It is the book of my heart.

What’s one genre you have never written, and probably never will? Comedy/lits. I do like the occasional funny read, but for the most part I don't even read books like that. So of course I'm not really going to want to write them either. And I can't say I've never written or will never write mystery because the Hardy Boys are mystery.

How many writing projects are you working on right now? Two are actively being written on and several others are having their plots and characters worked on. I have written openings for half a dozen others but haven't actively worked on the plot details yet.

What are your five favorite words? I don't know. I guess that makes me a bad writer.

What character that you’ve written most resembles you? Nick's wife Tatiana. She's very strong and independent, but at the same time longs for children and a home. A lot like me.

Do you ever write based on your dreams? That would be a resounding yes. A dream once inspired a plot. But don't ask me which one it was because at this very moment I don't even remember.

Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write? Oh yes!! The policy manual that goes with my new job is most painful for me to read because of the all the spelling and grammar errors. I don't even read the local paper anymore because the grammar and spelling is atrocious. And so is the writing.

Does music help you write? Heavens no! It's too distracting. But then I'm not much of a music listener anyway. Usually just in the car.

How do people react when they find out you write? They ask me what I write and if I've finished anything.

Quote something you’ve written. The first thing to pop into your mind. In my defense, I did have to open the file to copy and paste this.

Pulling her hand out, she looked at the ring on her left finger. Even in the dim light cast by the bedside lamp, the diamond glittered. He'd completely surprised her with the cut and design, and even with the tiny emerald chips that surrounded the oval cut. The emeralds represented his family, their roots. A trademark of sorts. She pulled it off and as the warm metal left her finger bare, the chill created in the now bare place seemed to invade every pore of her being.

2 comments :

  1. Spelling errors in policy manuals are just plain wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fun Meme...writers are a unique breed, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete