Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sentimental Journey

Writers are a sentimental bunch. We also tend to love reading about famous writers of the past, famous fictional writers like Jo March. This writer is also easily amused and completely in love with the Victorian Trading Company.

They're most well known for their stationary and notecards, although the company has expanded to include home furnishings, reproduction jewelry and clothes, among other things. One of the neatest things they have is their line of Victorian writing instruments.

To this writer, there's something very sentimental and romantic in thinking about how so many of my favorite books and so many of the classics were written with a dip pen and bottled ink. There's just something about all of that that makes me feel connected to all the great writers who have come before, in particular the ones who paved the way for women to publish. I'm talking about Ann Radcliffe, Jane Austen, the Brontes, Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, Louisa May Alcott and Kate Chopin just to name a few. They all wrote with a dip pen and bottled ink.

I've been drooling and lusting over this for quite some time now. VTC put it on sale a couple weeks ago so I decided to go ahead and buy it. It came last week and I am very pleased with my purchase. Will I actually write a book with it? Probably not. My brain moves so fast that my fingers can't keep up with it unless I'm at a keyboard. But it will be used to write notes, thank you cards, and things like that.

Someday I'd love to have the Chandler's Writing Chest and learn the art of Spencerian writing.

4 comments :

  1. I wouldn't be able to write a long work that way either (I make too many mistakes and my hand would cramp.) That said, I adore writing longhand, and if I had more time I'd probably write my first draft that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came by way of Erica. If you are interested in learning Spencerian, you can find free lessons, yes, free, at the IAMPETH website: International Association of Master Penman and Teachers of Handwriting.
    http://www.iampeth.com/index.php

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachel :)

    Thanks for commenting. I'd be worried about my wrists aching if I tried to write any way other than the cursive I grew up using or my personal shorthand, but good for you if you manage it :)

    It is a good quote - which did you mean? *grins* Both are wonderful. The first one has been told to me many times but most memorably a someone who was a monk himself.

    I would have a hard time deciding which movie is better. Both are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, pen and ink sounds so cool, I'd love to try it some day (also sounds hard, but who cares lol :p)

    ReplyDelete