Friday, May 9, 2008

The Friday Fact

Yeah, I forgot last week.

So, I want to talk about all the different kinds of needlework. If you haven't noticed yet, I'm kind of obsessed with/addicted to it... This week is a forgotten needlecraft called candlewicking.

And no, it's not done with candle wicks. The only stitch used in candlewicking is the French knot. It was very popular during Colonial times. Basically, the outline of a shape was drawn on the fabric and then those lines were covered with evenly spaced French knots. Very simple and very elegant.

Candlewicking is pretty much a dead artform these days, but one of my great-grandmothers used to dabble in it a bit and there is a pillow at my Mamaw's house that was candlewicked. The fabric is red and the thread is white. The design is 3 candles, Christmas type candles.

***
Doug Phillips has continued his series about Marxism and motherhood on his blog, so please do check those posts out. There are 4 more posts and here's the link. The Peter Marshall he mentions by name is the son of Catherine Marshall who wrote Christy.

2 comments :

  1. Candlewicking became popular again about 25 years ago, when I was a kid. My mom and her girlfriends all made pillows with flowers or butterflies or circle patterns on them. I think my mom's was a butterfly...very hard to nap on, all those little bumps! ;) It took me ages to master the French knot when I was first doing x-stitch...I always let go of the thread too early. For a long time I would choose which pattern to work on based on if it had many French knots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "and no, it's not done with candle wicks"

    *pretends that wasn't exactly what she thought it was* :D Don't know how you'd do that, but it's where your mind goes.

    I've never been good at French knots, and I agree with erica... I always chose what project to do by size and complicated stitches like french knots :p

    ReplyDelete