Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Evils of Motherhood

Yes, you read that title right. I'm borrowing it from Doug Phillips, founder of The Vision Forum.

I don't talk about politics much on here, but his two posts today struck a cord in me. About a month ago, we HisWriters ended up in a discussion about the Biblical model for womanhood and how today's society frowns on women just wanting to stay home. So many Christians have fallen prey to the attitude that raising children in a Biblical way isn't as important as providing every material comfort you can imagine. Many have also adopted the view that a woman should always have a back-up plan "just in case" marriage doesn't work out. I personally have major problems with that attitude and refuse to allow it into my thoughts.

I admire Doug Phillips a great deal. I've had the pleasure of meeting him several times and listen to him speak on many subjects. He's a very entertaining speaker and his heart for the Biblical family is obvious to anyone who spends more than 30 seconds talking to him. I read his blog every day and the posts today are title "Lenin on the Evils of Motherhood". You can read the posts here and here. He quotes from Lenin and the most disturbing thing about it is how Lenin's words mirror the thoughts of many Christians.

Since I'm obsessed with Russia, I know more than the average American about the atrocities committed by the Russian Communist Party. They had the Russian people so thoroughly brainwashed that most of them do not believe the Gulag system continued to exist after Stalin's death. The last gulag prisoners were not released until 1993, and even after that many Russians refuse to believe they were really in the gulag. Even after the book "Gulag" by Anne Applebaum, Russians refuse to believe it. The family unit in Russia was systematically destroyed--by the government no less--nearly 100 years ago and their society is now spiraling out of control. It may be legal to be a Christian again, but in no way does that mean the government will let you practice what you believe.

The same thing is slowly happening here in the US. It's not as overt because nobody makes speeches on the subject like Lenin did, but that doesn't mean it's not happening. Christians, and I mean ALL of them--not just the ones who share my particular brand of conservatism, should be appalled and outraged by this. And yet the majority stand silently by and many of them propagate those words to their own children and demean the Biblical family model. I bet most of them don't even know they're doing it.

The downfall of the Biblical family model is a major part of what's wrong with the world. God instituted the model the way He did for a very good reason, and we are now reaping the consequences of ignoring it. I've been accused more than once of being old-fashioned and unrealistic in my wants and desires, but gosh darn it I'd rather be in line with what God wants than what the world wants. If that makes me "unrealistic"' and "out-of-touch" with reality, so be it.

This young woman does NOT want to work. Even now. I am ready for this part of my life to be over so that I can move into the part that God made me for. Raising a family and upholding traditional, Biblical family values. I've also taken some flak for having a cast of characters in my head made up, in large part, of a big homeschooling family. That's what I know and that's what I believe, so why shouldn't I write about it? The one single theme that runs through every story idea I have is that of family unity and the Biblical model.

Consider this my shouting from the rooftop statement. I AM NOT AFRAID TO EMBRACE MY CALLING TO BIBLICAL WOMANHOOD.

3 comments :

  1. Here here! I've been in the work force, but now that I stay home I know this is exactly where I belong. God's way works for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *echoing Georgiana* Here here! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that you are obsessed with Russia. Would like to hear about your sources of research, & books you might write on the subject. I am the grandaughter of a White Russian Noble who escaped. I am here in blogger (AmberBarbara) where you can see part of the story.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete