Friday, February 29, 2008

The Friday Fact

Hairpin Lace.

I had planned to do a lace series before I saw this week's episode of Project Runway. Chris's use of hairpin lace in one of his looks only made me to decide to move hairpin up the list. I imagine there are an awful lot of Project Runway fans who haven't got the faintest idea what hairpin lace is. I shall attempt to remedy that.

Hairpin lace isn't an old form of lace, relatively speaking. It's done with a crochet hook, so it's only been around since the early 19th century. It gets the name "hairpin" from the loom that's used to make the strips. It looks like a hairpin, only the sides are straight and both ends are closed. Here's a picture of a lovely walnut loom. This form of lace was extremely popular in the late Victorian period.

The lace is woven in strips on the loom with the use of a crochet hook, and then the strips are crocheted together to form scarves, shawls and edgings. And here is a tutorial with pictures, written by Sandra Petit, ACFW member, published author and my brother's mother-in-law. Just for the heck of it, a lovely hairpin lace shawl. You can really see the strips and the weaving in that picture.

1 comment :

  1. Okay, I have to admit that I didn't even notice the lace on Chris's garments because I was too distracted by the human hair. Sure, they were hair extensions, but still, that freaked me out a little.

    I liked both Chris and Rami, and wish both of them could have shown at fashion week, but I'm glad Rami is in. He's the one I've been pulling for all along. As a lover of the Regency style, I love the Greco-Roman influences in how he drapes his clothing--especially the "art" piece based on the Roman statue!

    ReplyDelete