Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Spotlight on Europe

To celebrate the re-release of Oksana as The Sovereign's Daughter, today's feature is the Heirs of Anton series by Susan May Warren and Susan Downs.

The series consists of 4 books: Ekaterina, Nadia, Marina and Oksana. What I like best about this series is how Susie tells the story backwards. She starts in the modern day with Ekaterina and by the end of that book the reader knows almost the entire story of what's been going on since the October Revolution.

It's not until Oksana that it's revealed just who these women are descended from. It is a "lost Romanov" tale, which has no basis in reality anymore since the last two skeletons have been found, but nevertheless it's an engaging, well-written, wonderful story that is believable. That's the key to these lost Romanov stories, keeping it believable.

This is the series that got me hooked on Susie. I was drawn to it because it was set in Russia. So of course I HAD to have it. And then I decided, well, Susie's really good at this whole writing thing. Let me check out some of her other stuff. So I did and I've never looked back. Susie being a member of ACFW is what finally got me to join.

Nadia is also falls into the Cold War spy thriller category. And Marina is set in WW2. This series has something for everyone. Whether you devour historical fiction or not!

1 comment :

  1. How have I not heard of these before? I'm going to have to read these because I love all things Russia.

    ReplyDelete