Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Spotlight on Europe

This week it's The Galway Chronicles by Brock and Bodie Thoene.

I'm really at a loss as to how to summarize the series! It's set in the 1840's in Ireland, amidst the potato blight and great political upheaval. I read these books when they first came out nearly 10 years ago and was completely enthralled. Anyone who's read a Thoene book knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I want to say that somewhere, I read that these books are loosely based on Brock's family history. Spent some time flipping through the books themselves to see if that was in there but I couldn't find it.

Not only are the books rich in setting, but they're rich in dialogue. Bodie manages to convey the beautiful Irish brogue without bogging the reader down in dialect. It's done almost entirely with the sentence structure. Beautiful writing.

No comments :

Post a Comment