Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Spotlight on Europe

Today is Nancy Moser, author of "Just Jane" and "Mozart's Sister".

Sadly, I haven't read either of them yet. I personally am not a fan of Jane Austen so I know I'll never read that one. Jane Austen fans in general are raving about Just Jane.

But I do want to read Mozart's Sister!


JUST JANE: Mr. Darcy, Elizabeth Bennett, Marianne Dashwood... you probably know more about Jane Austen's characters than you do about Jane. Not anymore! I've written a bio-novel about her life, letting Jane tell you about her love life, family problems, and the struggles of being a woman novelist in 1800. She was a woman penned in by the restrictions of society (pun intended) yet a woman who was strong enough to discover the satisfaction of being just Jane.


MOZART'S SISTER: In 1763, 11-year-old Nannerl Mozart performed before the crowned heads of Europe with her younger brother, Wolfgang. But behind the glamour lurk dark difficulties—the hardship of travel, agonizing bouts of illness, and the constant concern over money. Their father, Leopold, is driven by a desire to bring his son's genius to the attention of the world. But what about Nannerl? Is she not just as talented? In a time where women's choices are limited, what hope does she have of ever realizing her own dreams?

2 comments :

  1. Mozart's Sister was WONDERFUL! I have Just Jane in the TBR stack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Rachel, Nancy Moser here. Just wanted to say that you, as a writer, would probably enjoy "Just Jane" even if you're not a Jane Austen fan. If you take it as the story of a young woman who feels the need to write yet has little confidence or time for it, who lives in a time when women didn't have jobs, who feels inadequate to do anything but be a lowly pastor's daughter from a tiny little no-where place...
    "Just Jane" is the story of a woman searching for her purpose and trying, somehow, some way, to use this gift she's been given. I guarantee that you, as a writer, will identify with Jane and have many "I feel that way too!" moments. To quote my letter to the reader: "Amidst my readings, I discovered a Jane Austen whom I would have liked to call friend. She was witty, wise, discerning, creative and loyal. She was also stubborn, judgmental, insecure and needy. She was...a lot like us." End of pitch. :o)

    ReplyDelete