Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Spotlight on Europe

New feature!! Every Wednesday will bring you news about historical novels set in Europe. I'm going to go through the new ones first, but I know I'll run out and then I'm going to do some of the older ones that are still available.

I write European historicals and I love to read European historicals. There's a group of us ACFWers called His Writers who are all passionate about European historicals. If you're an ACFW member who loves to write Europeans and you're not yet a member, contact Therese Stenzel for an invite to the group.

This week it's Sanctuary by Molly Noble Bull.

Sanctuary is the story of Rachel Levin and Pierre Dupre. Rachel is Jewish and Pierre is a Huguenot. But what is a Huguenot you ask? A French Protestant, a follower of John Calvin. The book takes place in early 1700's France and Scotland. France was still very much a Catholic country at this time and everyone then persecuted Jews and even the Protestants.

The book is currently sold out at ChristianBook.com, so if you want a copy you'll need to go to Amazon or B&N.com.

Sadly, I have not read this book yet. I have read the excerpt posted on Molly's website and this book has shot to the top of my Must Buy list.

Description from Amazon:
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalms 91: 1 By 1740 hatred and persecution that so blackened France in an earlier era has almost vanished from the land. Rachel Levin, a Jewess pretending to be a Christian and secretly engaged, feels safe. But when her fiancée and her parents are murdered by a vicious French army captain, Rachel fears for her life. She flees her village with a young Huguenot, Pierre Dupre, and Rachel and Pierre take refuge in a church. Dressed as a nun and a monk, all goes well until the captain who killed her loved ones arrives.

Captain Vallae is rich and powerful. He wants Rachel as his mistress, or he wants her dead. After the captain leaves, Rachel and Pierre agree to a marriage of convenience and manage to escape. Furious that Rachel refused his advances, Captain Vallae demands revenge.

Will Rachel and Pierre reach Scotland in time? Or will the captain make good on his threat to end their lives on an English countryside?

1 comment :

  1. Rachel, I just wanted to let you know how much your blog means to me. I am not a writer, but my reading passion is Christian fiction. I wish you luck in all your research. Keep more reading suggestions coming - I am always looking for a good read.
    Paula D
    http://pauladumas.spaces.live.com/

    ReplyDelete