Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Research, oh how I love thee!

Yeah, I love research. I write historical fiction, and you have to love research to write good historical fiction. At least that's my take on it.

You don't just have to research for historical fiction though. A good writer does research on anything they write, whether it be a contemporary romance or a suspense. While historical is my main love, I do write contemporary as well.

I've got this whole other world in my head, populated by a full cast of characters and I even have a made-up town complete with small-town politics and a feud. In this little town lives a family by the name of O'Connor. And they adopted two boys from Russia. They're brothers, and I know their entire history, even their extended family still in Russia that they don't know about. The younger of the two is in love with Broadway and has a voice somewhere between Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra. He's a crooner and a ham.

The older boy is Nick, I think I've talked about him before. He joins the Navy and becomes a SEAL. (enlists, then becomes an officer through Seaman to Admiral and I know most of his men and their backgrounds) He and his wife can't have kids. The reason for that is a whole 'nother story in itself that I do plan to write someday. So I've been doing some adoption research the last couple of days and discovered to my pleasant surprise that he could adopt internationally! I can feel the second part of his story settling into place. All I want to do is stay here and work on it, brainstorm some, do some What If-ing and see what happens.

This part of his story will force him to confront things that he refuses to face and will cause external conflict with his wife, and internal conflict within himself as he faces these things from his past. The conflict potential is amazing.

But I can't work on it in depth like I want to. I have to go to work!

1 comment :

  1. You know you write historical fiction when. . .

    . . .the past is far more real to you than the present.

    . . .you step outside after a long writing stint and are shocked to hear the sounds of automobiles rather then horses and wagons.

    - Brenda

    ReplyDelete