Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Interview with Tiffany Colter

Today I have an interview with Tiffany Colter. She's known in ACFW as the Writing Career Coach. She's recently launched a new blog with the purpose of helping writers hone their careers.


What exactly is a Writing Career Coach? What set you on this path of ministry to other writers?

That is a common question. I can't speak for all writing career coaches [unless, of course, I'm the only one] but what I do is teach business principles to writers. Some people may think it's cheesy but I sincerely have a passion to mentor writers so they can become the most productive writers they can be. I also hate the idea of Authors barely getting by after publication. I want them to thrive. There is no reason why anyone should barely get by on what they earn. With planning people can earn a living as a writer/author but it won't just happen.

This all started two years ago when my husband picked up two books: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki and Secrets of the Millionaire Mind by T.Harv Eker. What I read in those books changed the way I looked at myself, success, and the path to abundance. I realized that most of my battle was between my ears [in my mind].

So I ran out and started trying to apply everything I'd learned. At the time my husband had just been diagnosed with Cancer [Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma]. He knew that his life as a Firefighter/Paramedic was probably over so he began to devour books on business and marketing. I did the same. But the two small business plans I wrote up and tried to apply fell apart.

In September 2006 I came to ACFW's Writer's conference in Dallas, TX and suddenly God brought together all I'd learned in business with my passion for writing. I realized that most writers look at writing as an art, a ministry of a passion. While that is necessary, without a plan they will never be as productive as they could me. Some may never reach success at all.

So I started sharing with people how to use the business principles I'd learned to combine with God's call to write. People loved it. They raved about how my ideas changed how they looked at writing. They told me they were more productive, happier, and felt focus after doing what I'd showed them.

I also saw immediate results with my system. I wrote two full novels, 26,000 words of a full, got two requests for a full Manuscript, and submitted five places-all in under 9 months.

That's when I knew I was on to something. I took my notes, put them in to lesson form, and began to market what I called my Writing Career Coach Course. I coach people to build a plan to advance their writing career. They can buy the course at www.WritingCareerCoach.com. That has also spun off to a monthly E-zine available on that website and now I also have a blog at www.WritingCareerCoach.blogspot.com.



Do you have a specific verse of Scripture that guides you?

Yes, Genesis 1:1-Revelation 22:21. Just kidding.

This question is really like asking me which of my girls is my favorite. I have to be honest I devour scripture. I don't mean that in a "churchy" way. But when I was dating my husband and he lived an hour away he'd write me letters. He talked about our future together and how much he loved me. I read them over and over. Each time they'd reinforce in my mind his love for me. It is the same way with God. In scripture God uses romantic references in places to describe His love for the Church.

When there is something, good or bad, in my life I run to the Word of God and find a scripture that talks about it and meditate on it. I have four daughters, when one of them was two she battled a number of health problems and was hospitalized twice in 4 months. I went to Psalms 41:3. When my husband was diagnosed with cancer in his right distal femur [inside the bone marrow] I meditated on Psalm 34:18-20.

But for my writing it would have to be Ps 20:4-5 "May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed. We will shout for joy when you are victorious and will life up our banners in the name of our God. May the Lord grant all your requests."

It's about making a plan in prayer, doing the work necessary to execute that plan, and giving God the glory when you succeed. That's what being a Christian writer is all about.

2 comments :

  1. This interview is very inspiring. I plan to take the course. I don't have all the books yet, though. But God bless you Tiffany. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very great interview! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete