Monday, September 24, 2007

Conference recap

I have now experienced and survived my very first writing conference! And I have to say that I am totally hooked. If I could just follow Susie Warren around all the time and listen to her talk, I'd be one of the most prolific authors on the planet. Everything she says unlocks something that I need for my writing.

Had a wonderful time. The food was great, some of the best I've ever had. Dessert at the banquet Saturday night put me in chocolate heaven! It was fabulous. Even room service Friday night was good. That's one of the best club sandwiches I've ever had. (and yes, Erica and Kaye, the burger was DIVINE!!! Wow)

I learned a lot. I found Nick's Deepest Fear while in Susie's Brainstorming Blitz Late Night Chat, rewrote the opening of The Master's Hand while sitting in her class about hooks, and then wrote two more scenes in A Time For War while sitting in the airport. I'm now halfway to my Genesis goal with this one. I need to check a few dates before I can continue, those dates affect what order the next three scenes happen in. Then it'll need editing and revising and hopefully I'll have found a crit group before then. I want this to be as good as it possibly can be.

I personally however was disappointed with the worship part of the conference. I really was, especially after hearing about how wonderful it was. The sort of worship that was chosen is fine for a lot of people. But it's not my thing. And I really don't like hearing the same 4 songs over and over and over, and having theological issues with one of them. There's nothing wrong with traditional worship that consists of hymns. Jazz it up a little! Do each worship section in a different way, that way everyone will get the chance to worship in their own way. So there's my soapbox issue...

The best part of the whole conference (aside from meeting Susie and sitting in her classes and sharing a gushing moment over my St. Basil's wallpaper) happened Saturday just after lunch. The door prize winners had been posted, and I wasn't even going to look because I never win door prizes. Mama stopped and looked and I am so glad she did!

It's amazing how God knows exactly what you need to hear and exactly when you need to hear it, and you didn't even realize that you needed to hear it. In the back of my mind I've wondered if I'm on the right track with my life. Yes, I love to write, I love creating words and building a fictional world. But I wasn't sure about its place in my life. Is it a hobby, is it serious, do I pursue publication?

The answer is a resounding yes. I won Tiff Colter's Writing Career Coach course. The whole thing! I opened the envelope, stood there and cried. And then cried some more later, and some more yesterday and today. The envelope is sitting on my desk and I still don't quite believe it.

I hope to be able to go again next year. It was totally worth it. And I've never been to Minnesota before. Sleepover at Erica's!!!!

3 comments :

  1. Girl--you'd better be there next year! And Marmie, too!

    I'm so glad we finally got a chance to meet face-to-face and talk in real-time. I just know that this year is going to be wonderful for all of us. I know you'll find the right crit partners in due course. God knows when the right time is and then suddenly, you'll be in the middle of the best crit group you've ever experienced and trying to figure out how God knew exactly what you needed (kinda like with the course you won!).

    Love you, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a great time at the conference. Congrats on the great prize!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,
    Thanks for your honest comments. I, too, am not a fan of praise songs--the so-called 7-11 songs, with seven words repeated eleven times. Our church tries to have a "blended" music service, and perhaps that would work for ACFW. Glad you'll be helping plan it next year.
    That aside, I'm happy for the blessings that you received from the conference. Hope to hear good things about you in the future.

    ReplyDelete