Monday, August 27, 2007

Lookit the pretty sidebar!

So yeah, I spent a good chunk of yesterday playing with my template. Had a lot of blogs I wanted to put on the side, and managed to find a few more when I was on Camy's blog. It's so nice to be plugged into such a wonderful network of my fellow writers. Have also added the totally awesome ACFW logo, and what I'm currently reading. Did that about 15 minutes ago, lol.

I did it today. I quit at Kent House. I can't take it anymore. There's too much crap and politics and stuff going on and I'm getting blamed for so many things that are in no way my fault. They're mostly the fault of my boss's habit of not paying attention to what she's doing. And just a whole lot of other stuff going on. I had already planned on leaving at the end of the year, but just can't take anymore.

Immediately after my post Thursday, I called Hobby Lobby. It's my favorite store in town. Yes, more favorite than the bookstore. (but only because my bookstore is a Books-A-Million and not a B&N and I just don't like going in there. They're always re-arranging things!) They were hiring, mainly cashiers. Not my idea of The Perfect Job, but a heck of a lot better than where I am now! Filled out an application, talked to the manager, got an interview appointment. That was this morning.

I got the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so beyond thrilled. I feel so much better already and I still have two weeks left at KH. Will start at Hobby Lobby on the 10th. My main duties will be as a cashier, but I'm also going to be trained in the fabric and framing departments. The fabric department includes all three of my preferred crafts- counted cross-stitch, knitting and crochet. In addition to sewing notions, fabric, patterns, etc. And the framing department. I've taught myself how to lace stitched pieces and dearly want to learn more about framing, specifically matting and how to professionally mount everything in the frame. So I am terribly excited about the frame training! I'll have to work 2 evenings a week, no big deal, and every other Saturday. Again, no big deal. They're closed on Sundays, so I know I'll always be off that day unless inventory has to be done and that's voluntary most of the time. And even if I do, it's not till after church anyway. It's a Christian company at the corporate level, which is another thing that drew me to working there. They play instrumental hymns over the sound system!

The bad news is that I won't make the LA-CFW Christmas party because I'll be working all but one Saturday in December. Totally understandable though. The one Saturday I'm not working is when I'll be in New York seeing The Little Mermaid. Both of my trip plans will be honored with the time off since I told him about them during the interview process and not after I took the job. But I will make the Christmas party next year because I'll be an MT then and you rarely work on the weekends.

I'm still planning on going back into transcription next year. I just can't stay at KH any longer and be able to leave with my sanity intact. And I've never done anything like this before, so I'm looking forward to the different atmosphere and the change and not having to put up with junk and small non-profit politics. Will still be continuing with my course work for transcription, and writing time will be continue to be very limited.

2 comments :

  1. The sidebar looks great and congrats on the new job! You're already so handy with a needle working in a craft and fabric store will be like breathing. How fun about learning to frame work. The right frame can make all the difference to a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like so much fun! I've heard great things about the Hobby Lobby. sadly, we don't have one here in our town.

    ReplyDelete