Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Business cards

I've been doing a lot of thinking about business cards over the last couple of weeks. I need to have some for conference next month. (31 days!) I know that it needs to have my name and address and phone number and email on it. Also plan to put my blog on it since I don't have an official website yet. That's at the top of my list to do next year when finances aren't such a big worry.

Some people like to put a picture of themselves on the cards. I'm a little hesitant to do that though because I want mine to stand out. I also don't have a picture that I think looks good enough to put on a business card, they're all either too fancy or you can tell I've been out in the wind and sun all day.

So I had a pretty unique thought. 98% of what I write can be directly tied to Russia. I say 98% because there is one plot idea (The Yellow Flag) that doesn't have a Russian character in it, and that's because I can't come up with a good way to get one to central Louisiana in 1860. I'm thinking about using a picture of something Russian.

First thought was maybe St. Basil's Cathedral. But finding one that I could use without permission could be difficult. So then I started thinking about what Russian things I have access to where I could take the picture myself. There's my Russian rag doll, but she's not noticeably Russian to anyone except me. Then I thought matroiskha dolls! Practically everyone knows those are Russian. The one my mom has is kind of normal and has a run-of-the-mill color scheme. But the one my grandmother has from the Ukraine is nothing short of amazing! It's lilac and gold and white and pink and blue and light yellow. I just love it, and I already plan to take a picture of it so I can use the colors in a cross-stitch design.

I'm seriously considering putting this doll on my business cards. That will definitely make them unique, and will force me to install the drivers for the color printer, which is something I really need to do anyway. Thoughts?

4 comments :

  1. I love that idea...very unique, and very "you"...I'd go for it. :) If nothing else, people will stop to look at how pretty the dolls are, I'm betting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a fabulous idea! It will certainly make your card memorable, and you could use the same picture for your one sheets, your letterheads and your blog header.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a fabulous idea if you use it more like an icon rather than a "picture." The key with business cards is to keep them as simple as possible, with as much white-space as possible--think clean lines, clear fonts, not a lot of bells-and-whistles.

    I ordered mine from Vista print--I chose a design that is very geometric, with a line that goes across to several differently colored boxes under my name on the right. I then recreated this for my letterhead, shipping labels, etc., so that I have a uniform look to everything. Because I was so drawn to the design, I knew it was the right one for me--and it does kind of represent me--colorful, but square. :-)

    ReplyDelete