Thursday, July 19, 2007

Slow progress

Had a bit of a setback with the job hunting. I'm going back into medical transcription. I'm a fast typist, have some clinical experience, but I've been out of the field for awhile. Long enough that it shows, so I'm looking at taking a refresher course to get myself back up to speed.

It'll take at least 3 months, working at my own pace via the Internet. Turns out that's going to work out quite nicely on the tax front though. If all goes as planned, the change should happen come January. I think I can hold out that long. Things seem to have plateaued for the moment, but then again that could just be because of History Camp. I'm really not sure anymore.

The average student takes 4-6 months to complete the course I'm looking at. I'm a fast learner though, definitely not your average student, so I don't think the course will take longer than 4 months. It will require some sacrifice on my part, of stitching time and writing time and weekends. Probably some late nights too. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make, because it's a short term sacrifice.

In the end, I think it will lead to more writing time. At least I hope it does! There is so much crap and junk and stuff going on at work that it takes all I have just to make myself go. It saddens me a lot that it also takes what I expend on writing. I still haven't finished my book on the Russian campaigns of WW1. That's how wacked out things are at work. And it's really sad too, because everything was starting to come together so wonderfully and the place was moving into the 21st century with a strong community presence. Now it seems that all of our hard-work is being taken away from us and the place is sliding back into the Dark Ages. It's so very sad and so un-necessary.

1 comment :

  1. Heh, awesome that it will work out to start in January--taxes are PLENTY confusing enough without switching jobs in the middle. Made Jeremiah's taxes last year such a headache, I still have nightmares... :-p

    ReplyDelete