Saturday, June 9, 2007

Ruffian

This post contains SPOILERS for Ruffian movie that just went off on ABC. If you want to watch it but missed it, stop now.


I love horse racing and horse racing has so many wonderful horses to make movies about and so many wonderful stories to tell. Ruffian was a true champion, a great horse among great horses. She probably could have beaten Secretariat, and probably would have won the Triple Crown had Frank Whitely run her in it. Sadly, we'll never know for sure. But one thing is for certain. People remember Ruffian, not Foolish Pleasure.

That said, the movie seemed to fall flat to me. I never really got a sense of the human characters or even Ruffian. It was almost as if they were trying to hard to do it like Seabiscuit, and in the process I think they very nearly butchered it. The first hour and a half was like watching a narrated documentary. And since it was supposed to be a movie, it wasn't really holding my attention. I didn't put my knitting down until the match race scene started, because I knew what was going to happen and was very curious as to how they would handle such a graphic event. It was done ok, but could have been better. They didn't have to show it flapping around to get the point across.

I have felt better today with the increase in my med. Slept MUCH better last night. I'm mostly packed. The other things I need to pack I can't do until Tuesday night. Computer, the last of my hairstuff, hairbrush, phone charger. Things like that. I'm still having a hard time believing that it's actually almost time to leave!

2 comments :

  1. I agree with you on the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven´t seen or even heard of the movie (not unusual given where I live) but did want you to know that I enjoyed visiting you blog.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete