Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Gender Genie

This site, The Gender Genie, is pretty nifty. Kaye found it.

I seem to have a lot of male characters and write quite a bit in a male POV. So I plugged in two different writing samples to see what I got.

The first sample was Chapter 1 of A Time For War. It's in Sergei's POV. It came back as female. I think I got that result though because he's thinking about his fiancee and wondering why his parents don't like her. So a lot of the female keywords showed up when they normally wouldn't have.

To test that theory, I put in the first chapter of The Master's Hand. This chapter is in the POV of a 17-year-old Russian boy who plays the violin. It came back male. That was a thrill, and proved my theory about the first sample.

For some reason, even though I'm a girl, I have a hard time writing in a female POV. I have far more fleshed out male characters than I do female. Part of that might be because I had a lot of guy friends growing up and loved hanging out with them. I also know my way around power tooles and I'm not inept with car engines either. I'm a pretty handy girl to have around, and I know that will come in handy when I get married and have my own place someday. Knowing how to use a drill is a skill I think every person should have. And knowing the difference between a flat head and a Phillips screwdriver.

No comments :

Post a Comment