Friday, May 4, 2007

Did you know?

Did you know that cats can have nightmares? I didn't. Until this morning anyway.

My Zoe has been through a lot in the last 2 months. She spent 2 and a half days lost in the woods out behind our house, impaled herself getting out of a tree, spent three days in the hospital on IV antibiotics and came home with a hole in her tummy. Then she got treed by the mean Siamese next door and worked a piece of bark into the hole. Back to the vet, another scraping of the wound and more antibiotics. Thankfully not IV.

She sleeps with me at night, in my bed. And she had a nightmare this morning. Sleeping peacefully, then she started growling and twitching her tail, shaking her head. Then she jerked awake and sat up really fast, looking around the room for me. So I opened my eyes and started petting her, she laid down as close to me as she could physically get without being on top of me and I had to put my arm around her. Then she stayed there for 20 minutes.

After that, she flipped over on her back and proceeded to bang me in the nose with her front paws. And now she's chewing on my plastic blinds.

In writing news, I'm about to enter my first short story contest! It's the one that Jude is hosting at A Writer's Toolbox. I wrote this short story about three years ago called "Stuffed Animals". It was 1,576 words and I had never taken the time to edit it down to 1500 in time to enter it in the WD Short Short Story contest. I have taken the time now, and will be entering it in Jude's contest, and probably in the WD contest next time it comes up. Now that I've actually done the edit, lol. And it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. Re-worded a few sentances, deleted a paragraph that was wonderfully written, but the wrong POV. Guilty of head-hopping yet again!

I have another short story that I would love to enter in something. It's in between 1500 and 2000 and I can't edit it down without losing part of the essence of the story. So I'll keep it on file and keep looking for the right contest.

2 comments :

  1. Glad to hear you're entering one of your stories in a contest!

    You're making real progress to be able to share your writing.

    I'm proud of you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize that animals dream, but it only makes sense. Sorry to hear that Zoe is going through so much! Must be that whole 9 lives thing?

    Hooray for entering a contest! Short stories are tough for me to write, so I applaud writer's who do it!

    ReplyDelete