Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Fan fiction

Fan fiction can be a wonderful thing. Especially the communities that go with the different fandoms.

I've spent the last 5 months "taking a break" from my main fan fiction love, the Hardy Boys. I haven't missed the stories as much as I thought I would. What I've missed is the community at my favorite HB fan fiction library site, the Hardy Detective Agency. We're a tight-knit group, like family. We even fight like family, lol. The community at HDA was my lifeline through some pretty rough weeks a few years ago. They were there when I lost my best friend, when my Mimi nearly died, the first time my sister and I spent more than three days apart.

I dived back in headfirst yesterday. I've a lot of catching up to do in the library to see what's worth reading and what's not. Not everything in the library lives up to my standards, but quite a bit of it does. Some of these Hardy Boys fan fiction authors are better than some published authors! And the HDA has the highest standards of any fan fiction archive that I've ever seen. 9 times out of 10 I will find nothing in a story that is objectionable to my morals or goes too far description-wise. That's a true rarity in fan fiction.

I freely admit to having penned more than a few stories myself. I think at last count I was up to 7, with three in the works. They haven't been touched in 5 months, but they're there. One is a partnership that's so much fun. It's eery how much we think alike on this story. She does the hard part of plotting and I get the fun part of fleshing everything out and breathing descriptive life into the story. Hardy Boys fan fiction stories are the only things I've finished so far. Hopefully that will change though.

Fan fiction will take a backseat to my original fiction works for sure. But it's nice to be back!

No comments :

Post a Comment